Yoga for Thyroid
Thyroid: Thyroid is an endocrine gland which controls the metabolic activity of the body. The thyroid gland lies in front of the neck, wrapped around the trachea. It is divided into two lobes, one on either side of the neck, and secretes thyroxin (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) which determine our metabolic rate.
Thyroid Diseases: Following are the three major kind of thyroid diseases.
- Goitre: In this disease one or more nodules of thyroid get swollen up. The swelling appears on the throat.Its symptoms are weak concentration, depression, person feels like crying, loss of mental balance and loss of weight.It increases toxins in the body.
- Hyper Thyroidism: In this thyroid gland produces more hormones. It is more likely to be found in women then in men. Its symptoms are loss of weight, restlessness, weakness excessive sweating, palpitation of heart urination takes place number of times, weak memory, High BP, trembling of fingers, fatigue, excessive appetite, complications in menstruation and falling of hair.
- Hypothyroidism: In this thyroid gland produces less hormones. Its symptoms are increase in weight, constipation, dryness of hair aching waist, joint get stiff, pulse rate goes down, constipation and swelling on the face.
The onset of this disease is gradual and its symptoms are similar to signs of ageing. In advanced case of thyroid heart failure can occur.
Causes of thyroid disease are:
- Deficiency of iodine in food.
- Mental and emotional tension.
- Unhealthy lifestyle
- Wrong eating habits.
Yogic Management of Thyroid Disease
Surya Namaskar is beneficial in thyroid disease.
Asana: Following are the effective asanas for curing thyroid disease.
- Sarvangasana (shoulder stand pose)
This asana is the most beneficial asan for thyroid disease. While doing this asan maximum pressure is placed on the gland. This pressure has dramatic effects on its function, improving circulation and squeezing out stagnant secretions. As we concentrate on the area, sensory nerves are stimulated setting relays within the brain into motion. The brain tends to readjust its regulatory centres and a corresponding readjustment of muscular state, blood flows and nervous activity in the neck area flows.Therefore, this asana is very effective in thyroid disease.
- Halasana( Plow pose)
- Matsyasana( Fish pose )
- Padma sarvangasana(Lotus in shoulder stand pose )
- Pawanmuktasana (Wind-relieving pose)
- Suptvajrasana(Thunderbolt pose)
- Kandharasana (Shoulder pose)
- Grivasana (Neck pose)
- Simhagarjanasana(Roaringlion pose)
- Pashinee mudra (Folded mudra)
All these asanas are very effective as they put enormous pressure on thyroid gland and improves circulation and releases stagnant secretions.
Pranayama: The most effective pranayama in thyroid is ujjayi pranayama (ocean breath). It acts on throat area. This pranayama gives direct access into the pranic and psychic networks, the substructure of metabolic activity
NadiShodhanpranayama( alternate nostril breathing) is useful in rebalancing metabolism through its effects on nadisida and pingala.
Sheetali and seetkari pranayama ( cooling breaths) are useful in hyperthyroid state when the body is overheated.
Bhastrika( breath of fire) pranayama is effective in hypothyroidism as it speeds up metabolism.
Diet in Thyroid
Following diet should be taken in thyroid:
- Coconut water should be taken.
- Fresh fruit juices like orange, apple, grapes, pineapple etc should be taken.
- Sesame milk should be consumed.
- Green leafy vegetables, salads, sprouts, fruits should be taken.
- Lotus seed, makhana, water chestnut(Singhara) are useful.
- In a cup full of spinach juice one spoon of honey be added and ¼ th spoon of cumin seed (jeera) powder be mixed and take it every night.
- In a glass of water soak two spoons of dry coriander and in the morning mash it and boil, till the quantity is reduced to one fourth and drink daily on empty stomach.
- Maida , tinned food, heavy food and stale food should be avoided.
- Daily gargle with saline water.
- Excess of Tea coffee should be avoided.